PLEASANTVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH 2018 ISRAEL TOUR
Led by: Pastor A.J. PotterDate: February 27, 2018 - March 09, 2018
Led by: Rev. AJ Potter
Guided by: Eitan Chamberlin
NOTE: The dates have changed! New pricing for this tour will be published soon.
Join Pastor A.J. & Karis Potter and the Pleasantville Baptist Church on this 10 day tour of Israel from February 27th – March 9th 2018.
Please visit the Getting Prepared tab or Download the Brochure to review all pricing options for children, Single Supplements, etc.
Day 1 - Tuesday - February 27th, 2018 - (D)
In the afternoon, depart from Des Moines on the shortest possible flight time to Israel. (Meals & Entertainment in flight)
Day 2 - Wednesday - February 28th, 2018 - (D)
- Morning/Noon arrival at Ben Gurion International Airport
- We begin our journey with a visit to Caesarea Maritima: Herod’s Port City. We’ll explore the Roman Theatre, the Praetorium (Governor’s Palace), the Hippodrome and the fabulous Roman Aqueduct. Caesarea was the home of Pontius Pilate, the scene for Cornelius and Peter (Acts 10:1) the imprisonment of Paul (Acts 23:23), the home of Philip the Evangelist a (Acts 8:40; 21:9) and the opening scene for the Great Jewish Revolt in 66 CE.
- Check in to our hotel on the Mediterranean Sea
- Welcome ‘home’ dinner.
Day 3 - Thursday - March 1st, 2018 - (B/D)
- Visit the site of Muhraka on Mt. Carmel, where Elijah fought the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18).
- Explore the majestic Tel Megiddo in the valley of Armageddon (Revelation 16:16). At this UNESCO world heritage site, we’ll see the Canaanite Gateway, the controversial Solomonic Gate and Casemate Wall, ‘Solomon’s Stables,’ a lookout over the Valley of Armageddon and the amazing water shaft and tunnel built during the time of Ahab.
- Visit the Nazareth Village, a reconstruction of the 1st century village and enjoy a biblical style lunch there. (Note: your guide, Eitan Chamberlin, excavated here in 1999). At the end of our visit, you’ll have a lovely gift shop to enjoy.
- Stop by Cana of Galilee (John 2), the site of Jesus’ first miracle.
- Lookout over the Sea of Galilee from Mt. Arbel
Day 4 - Friday - March 2nd, 2018 - (B/D)
- Walk in the Arbel Pass, Jesus’ passageway to the Sea of Galilee. This is one of the most impressive natural settings that provides an excellent backdrop for Jesus' ministry.
- Visit the pre-70 synagogue at Magdala. Here, we’ll discuss the modern theories of Mary Magdalene and her role as one of Jesus’ most dedicated followers (Mark 16:9).
- Visit the 1st century Galilee boat at Ginosar’s Yigal Allon Museum. Was this a boat similar to the one the disciples used?
- Set sail on the Sea of Galilee While on board, we’ll experience the silence of the Sea as well and see how a fisherman casts his net.
- Enjoy lunch on your own by the Sea of Galilee.
- Jump into the archaeological remains at Capernaum, Jesus’ home in the Galilee and where he chooses his disciples (Matthew 4:13, 8:5, 11:23, 17:24; Mark 2:1, 9:33; Luke 4:23; John 2:12).
- Experience an amazing lookout and stories of miracles at Bethsaida, the birthplaces of Peter, Andrew, Philip, James and John (and the ancient Israelite town of Geshur (Matthew 11:21; Mark 8:22; Luke 9:10; John 1:44).
- End the day with a lovely walk down the Mount of Beatitudes (Matthew 5) to the shores of the Sea of Galilee.
Day 5 - Saturday - March 3rd, 2018 - (B/D)
- Visit Tel Hazor and see the destruction of the Canaanite city as reported in Joshua 11 and Judges 5. Here, we’ll see the Solomonic Gate, the destroyed Late Bronze Age palace and an example of the Israelite House. (Note: your guide excavated here in from 1997-1998).
- Drive through the Hulah Valley, possibly the Waters of Merom (Joshua 11:5).
- Experience the Tel Dan Nature Reserve to see the “Arch of Abraham,” Jeroboam’s temple, and the discovery place of the ‘House of David’ inscription (Gen 14:13-16; Deut. 34:1; Josh 19:47; Judg. 18:1-2, 18:27-29; I Kings 12:26-33, 15:20; II Kings 15:29)
- Explore the Temple of Pan at Caesarea Phillipi (Matt. 16:13-28).
- Enjoy coffee & deserts in the Druze village of Ma’sade in the Golan Heights.
- Lookout from Mt. Bental Volcano into Syria and the Road to Damascus (Acts 9:1-20).
Day 6 - Sunday - March 4th, 2018 - (B/D)
- See the site of Kursi where Jesus healed the demonized man name Legion (Matt. 8:28-34; Mark 5:1-17; Luke 8:26-39)
- See Gideon’s Spring (Mayan Harod) and watch Judges 4 come to life.
- Have a short visit Tel Beth Shean next to Mt. Gilboa (I Sam. 31:8-13; II Sam. 21:12-14) to lookout over the Roman city, the ancient Tel. Beth Shean was the capital of the Decapolis in Jesus’ day (Matthew 4:25; Mark 5:20).
- Visit the baptismal site of Qasr El Yahud, where John most likely performed his baptisms (Matthew 3:13; Mark 1:9)
- Our last site of the day is Qumran, where some of the Dead Sea Scroll caves were copied and Cave 11
- Enjoy the rest of the day at the Dead Sea or your hotel’s spa.
4-Star - Overnight & Dinner: Daniel Dead Sea
Day 7 - Monday - March 5th, 2018 - (B/D)
- Enjoy the morning at leisure
- 10:00 -Departure
- Visit the desert of Ein Gedi where David hid from King Saul (Isa 35:7; I Sam. 23:29, 24:1-22)
- Explore Masada, Herod the Great’s desert fortress and the last stand for the Jewish rebels in 73 CE (Luke 11:21-22).
- Visit Tel Jericho (Josh 3:15-16, 6:1-27; II Kings 2:4-5, 2:18-22; Matt. 4:1-11, Mark 10:46-52; Luke 19:1-10), where the walls came tumbling down, and lookout over the Mount of Temptation.
- Lookout over the Judean Desert and the Monastery of St. George in Wadi Kelt
- Check in to our fabulous New Jerusalem hotel.
4-Star - Overnight & Dinner: Kibbutz Ramat Rachel or similar
Day 8 - Tuesday - March 6th, 2018 - (B/D)
- Have an early departure for the Temple Mount to see the site of the former Jewish temples and the current Dome of the Rock and Al Aqsa Mosque.
- Say a prayer at the Wailing Wall and admire the grandeur of this sacred spot for the Jewish people.
- Visit the Southern Wall Excavations (Davidson Center) and walk up the 1st century steps of the Temple.
- Visit the newest excavations in the City of David and wade through Hezekiah’s tunnel, and visit the Pool of Siloam (II Sam 5:7-9; II Chr. 32:2-5; I Kings 1:33, 1:38-40; II Kings 20:20, 25:1-9; Ps. 48:12-13; Isa. 22:11; John 9:6-11)
- Visit the Upper Room and David’s Tomb on Mt. Zion.
- Have lunch and some shopping time on your own in the Jewish Quarter
- Visit the Jewish Quarter to see Hezekiah's Broad Wall (II Kings 20:22; II Chr. 32:3-5; Isaiah 22:9-10 & the reconstructed Cardo, the north-south street that ran through the city in the Roman and Byzantine periods.
- Go underground to visit the 1st century Burnt House. Like Pompeii, this section of the Jewish Quarter provide a revealing moment in the destruction of the city by the Romans.
- Enjoy the rest of your afternoon shopping in the Old City
4-Star - Overnight & Dinner: Kibbutz Ramat Rachel or similar
Day 9 - Wednesday - March 7th, 2018 - (B/D)
- Enjoy a panoramic lookout from the Mount of Olives (II Sam 15:30; Numbers 19:1-10; Ezekiel 11:23; Ps. 122:3, 122:6, 125:2; Luke 21:37; Zech 14:4; John 8:1)
- Walk the Palm Sunday journey down the Mt. of Olives, stopping by Dominus Flevit, where Jesus wept over the city (Luke 19:41-44) and engaging with the early Christian tombs discovered at the site.
- Visit the Garden of Gethsemane and the Church of all Nations (Matthew 26:36ff).
- See the Pools of Bethesda at the Church of St. Anne (John 5:1-9).
- Walk the Via Dolorosa to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, noting key archaeological details. Learn 7 reasons why Jesus was most likely crucified here (Matt. 1:17; Matt 27; Luke 23; John 19)
- Walk out the Damascus Gate, to where Stephen was stoned (Acts 6:5-15; Acts 7:1-8:2).
- Visit the Garden Tomb, a modern alternative for the place of Jesus’ crucifixion. Guided by a local volunteer guide.
- Enjoy the rest of your afternoon exploring Bethlehem, have lunch near Shepherds Fields and visit the Church of the Nativity. Enjoy shopping in Bethlehem at a Bazaar owned by local Christians- (Micah 5:2; Luke 2:4-20; Matt. 2:1-12, 2:16-18).
4-Star - Overnight: Kibbutz Ramat Rachel or similar
Day 10 - Thursday - March 8th, 2018 - (B/D)
- Visit the Israel Museum to see the 2nd Temple Model & the Shrine of the Book, where some of the Dead Sea Scrolls are housed
- Experience Yad vaShem the Holocaust Memorial
- Gather up 5 smooth stones in the Elah Valley where David fought Goliath (1 Samuel 17).
- Stand on Tel Beth Shemesh to see the place of the ‘return of the ark of the covenant’ (2 Samuel 6:1f and Samson country, Zora and Eshtaol, the place of Samson’s birth and stories (Judges 13-16)
- Visit Jaffa, the world’s most ancient port (2 Chronicles 2:16; Ezra 3:7) and the setting for the stories of Jonah and the Whale (Jonah 1:3), the house of Simon the Tanner and the healing of Tabitha (Acts 9-10) and Andromeda’s Rock.
- Enjoy a final farewell dinner (included) out together at a fabulous Middle Eastern style restaurant located on the Road to Emmaus (Luke 24:13-32).
- 20:00 - Transfer to the airport.
Day 11 - Friday - March 9th, 2018
- Arrive back to Des Moines